Head of Community, West Coast
NationSwell is a leading social impact media company. We're a platform for problem-solvers, with the mission to power the solutions and innovations that will move our country forward. We advance this mission through a digital media platform that tells powerful, authentic human stories of problem-solvers which reached 200M people with our content last year; through the NationSwell Council, a special membership community of more than 800 (and growing) service-minded leaders who share a passion for taking action around solutions and collaborating with and supporting each other (the Council was mentioned in this recent article in The Atlantic as A Cure for Post-Election Malaise!); and our Impact Studio, where we work with mission-aligned companies, foundations and not-for-profits like Starbucks, Seventh Generation, Comcast, Cisco, Kauffman Foundation, and The Nature Conservancy to support and amplify their social impact efforts through story-telling, digital distribution, and creative campaigns. We’re passionate about telling the stories of creative solutions that bridge the opportunity divide, advance national service, protect the environment, and make government work. We love our team, and show it with competitive salaries, a flexible and remote working environment, an amazing culture, and a strong dedication to our mission.
NationSwell is seeking a Head of Community, West Coast (HCWC) to grow the NationSwell Council’s presence, especially in the Western U.S. The HCWC will be a strategic thought-partner on the vision and future direction for the Council on the West Coast, including for the existing hubs in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, and beyond; intentionally curate and grow the Council community, including identifying gaps + driving strategies to address them; optimize this extraordinary community for impact and directly connect the dots among Council members to catalyze collaboration and impact; and ensure that Council members’ experience is valuable, special, inspiring and impactful. S/he must have depth of knowledge about - and deep passion for - NationSwell's core issues: education, economic development, the environment, government, national service - and more.
Candidates must understand and believe deeply in the power of community to drive change. A successful candidate will interface directly with a remarkable group of influencers and change-makers. This is an incredible opportunity for a senior leader to shape and support a unique community of service-minded leaders, to drive enormous social impact and to play a key and senior role at an exciting, high-growth, and purpose-driven company.
Responsibilities & How You’ll Contribute:
- Growth: Oversee and personally drive growth of the Council community (individual contribution of 4-7 members per month).
- Engagement: Effectively and very energetically engage with our accomplished and inspiring community of 800 (+ growing) members across geographies, with especial focus + responsibility for the dynamism, growth + engagement of the 150+ West Coast members.
- Strategy: A strategic thinker capable of high-level, long-term thinking; a thought-partner to the CEO, SVP, and VP on the vision and direction of the Council.
- Impact: Have a strong facility for understanding member's needs and very actively seek to broker introductions and connections that provide value for members and drive social impact from the community.
- Issue-based Knowledge: Have a sophisticated and highly informed perspective on the challenges facing the nation. Ability to facilitate and add value to high-level issue-based conversations (in group settings and one-on-one with senior thought leaders).
- Presence: Represent NationSwell at Council events - as moderator or simply a/the senior presiding NationSwell team member (some travel required).
- Programming: Work with our SVP, VP and Senior Manager of Programming to build out incredible programming and draw on relationships to book high-level, inspiring change-makers, including coming up with fresh ideas + leveraging your professional networks as necessary.
- Innovation: Oversee and personally lead the development of new and creative experiences, products, services + offerings to support Council members and expand the Council community + operation.
Who You Might Be:
- A seasoned professional at a prominent, effectively run, high-end membership community or organization (e.g. YPO, World Economic Forum, etc).
- A professional in the for-profit, corporate world who has a knack for building deep personal connections and is passionate about social impact.
- An Executive Director (or possibly Deputy ED) of a not-for-profit or social enterprise with success in community and network building (for impact).
- A high-level government or political appointee or professional fluent in, and passionate about, domestic issues, with a strong knack for relationships, driving growth, and management experience.
- Must be a player coach: able to think and act at the strategic level, manage successful professionals, and also very much enjoys and takes pride in being a doer.
- Must have experience in - and a very strong facility for - organizational growth: partnerships, sales, or business development.
- Must be a “people person,” able to engage with very senior-level professionals (founders, partners, CEOs, executive directors).
- Must have a deep and high-level knowledge of - and strong passion for - the value of community and movement building; must be able to articulate the value of community as a force for social change and innovation.
- Must have at least 5 years of professional experience, including 2 to 4 years of client-facing experience and/or management experience leading a mission-driven team.
- Must be highly sophisticated and mature -- both externally as a key ambassador for NationSwell + internally as a senior leader and team leader at NationSwell.
- Must be goal-oriented, driven, determined, highly energetic, hard-working, creative + unfailingly dependable.
- Our core values are Excellence, Integrity, Teamwork, Innovation + Inspiration. Candidates should believe in and embody these values.
We love our staff—and to show our deep appreciation, we offer competitive salaries, amazing benefits and more. We know that having a positive team culture is essential to achieving our goals, so we put time and effort into making NationSwell an encouraging, energizing, and exciting place to work.