Head of Programming & Events
NationSwell is a leading social impact media company. We're a platform for problem-solvers, with the mission to power the solutions and innovations that will move our country forward.
We advance this mission through a digital media platform that tells powerful, authentic human stories of problem-solvers, which reached 200M people with our content last year; through the NationSwell Council, a special membership community of more than 800 (and growing) service-minded leaders who share a passion for taking action around solutions and collaborating with and supporting each other (the Council was mentioned in this recent article in The Atlantic as A Cure for Post-Election Malaise); and our Impact Studio, where we work with mission-aligned companies, foundations and not-for-profits like Starbucks, Seventh Generation, Comcast, Cisco, Kauffman Foundation, and The Nature Conservancy to support and amplify their social impact efforts through story-telling, digital distribution, and creative campaigns.
We’re passionate about telling the stories of creative solutions that bridge the opportunity divide, advance national service, protect the environment, and make government work. We love our team, and show it with competitive salaries, a flexible and remote working environment, an amazing culture, and a strong dedication to our mission.
NationSwell is seeking a senior leader to oversee and implement the NationSwell Council’s programming strategy. The Head of Programming will be a strategic thought-partner on designing rich, substantive event experiences for members that reflect their interests, educate them on important issues facing our country, and expose them to new ideas, innovations, and solutions. This colleague will also lead on sourcing experts to join NSC conversations as well as manage and contribute to a team that produces a high volume of events across our seven -- and growing -- chapters.
A successful candidate will interface directly with a world-class group of innovators, experts, and change-makers. This is an incredible opportunity for a senior leader to support a unique community of service-minded leaders, drive enormous social impact, and to play a key role at an exciting, high-growth, and purpose-driven company.
Areas of Leadership:
- Programming development: Design incredible programming + successfully attract and book high-level, inspiring change-makers (samples from past events: Arne Duncan, Bryan Stevenson, David Brooks, Jacqueline Novogratz, John Hickenlooper), including coming up with fresh ideas + leveraging your professional networks as necessary.
- Team + unit management: Oversee, build, and coach a team of thoughtful programming + events focused colleagues; ensure individual and team performance exceeds NationSwell’s standard of excellence. Work thoughtfully with colleagues to evolve internal and external systems as the community grows.
- Speaker relationships: Cultivate deep, substantive relationships with past and potential NSC speakers. Initiate and manage outreach; lead and/or oversee briefings and programming coordination for all NSC conversations.
- Issue-based knowledge: Bring a sophisticated and highly informed perspective on the challenges facing the nation. Facilitate and add value to high-level issue-based conversations (in group settings and one-on-one with senior thought leaders).
Performance Metrics (to be refined together):
- Set, improve, and meet ambitious timelines for advance planning on a substantive, interesting NSC programming calendar, with great guests booked months in advance
- Deliver on a high volume (150+ annually) of world-class events
- Inspire, design, and oversee large-format NationSwell Summit programming (2x each year)
- Manage programming + events expenses to come in below annual budget
- Generate and optimize for positive, tangible impact through conversations and events (2017 impact metrics included: capital mobilized, collaborations forged, and actions taken)
- 4-7 years of professional experience, including at least 3 years of stakeholder and/or management experience leading a mission-driven team
- Deep mission alignment and passion for service
- Excited to grow within a fast-paced mission-driven, for-purpose social enterprise
- A highly organized, confident self-starter with disarming demeanor and strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Results-oriented and driven
- Sophisticated and fully able to represent the company at high-level events and meetings
- Excellent capacity to lead by example, mentor and grow a talented team
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, organizational, and problem solving skills
- A great person: generous, down-to-earth, humble, and honest
- Ideally based in NYC, though exceptional candidates elsewhere will be considered
Who You Might Be:
- A programming guru at a prominent, effectively run, high-end community or organization (e.g. TED, CFR, YPO, World Economic Forum, etc).
- A professional in the for-profit, corporate world with a passion for social impact and a knack for building programs and delivering content to highly engaged and successful audiences.
- A non-profit leader that has scaled a team or department considerably and is seasoned in building systems and programs to support growth.
We love our staff—and to show our deep appreciation, we offer competitive salaries, amazing benefits and more. We know that having a positive team culture is essential to achieving our goals, so we put time and effort into making NationSwell an encouraging, energizing, and exciting place to work.