Senior Vice President, NationSwell Council
NationSwell is a leading social impact media company. We're a platform for problem-solvers, and our mission is to power the solutions and innovations that will move our country forward. We advance the mission through a digital media platform that tells powerful, authentic human stories of problem-solvers and reached 200M people with our content last year; through the NationSwell Council - a special membership community of more than 600 (and growing) service-minded leaders who share a passion for service, for taking action around solutions, and for collaborating and supporting each other -- the Council was mentioned in this recent article in The Atlantic as A Cure for Post-Election Malaise; and, our Impact Studio, where we work with mission-aligned companies, foundations and not-for-profits like Starbucks, Seventh Generation, Comcast, Cisco, Kauffman Foundation, and The Nature Conservancy to support and amplify their social impact efforts through story-telling, digital distribution, and creative campaigns.
We’re passionate about telling the stories of creative solutions that bridge the opportunity divide, advance national service, protect the environment, and make government work. We love our team, too, and show it with competitive salaries, a flexible and remote working environment, an amazing culture, and a strong dedication to our mission.
NationSwell is seeking a Senior Vice President (SVP) to lead and grow the NationSwell Council. The SVP will be a strategic thought-partner on the vision and future direction for the Council; intentionally curate and grow the Council community across the country (and, eventually, globally); optimize this extraordinary community for impact and directly connect the dots among Council members to catalyze collaboration and impact; oversee an outstanding and mission-driven team of eight full-time professionals (and growing fast); oversee the Council’s programming and service experiences; and ensure that Council members’ experience is valuable, special, inspiring and impactful. He/she must have depth of knowledge about - and deep passion for - NationSwell's core issues: education, economic development, the environment, government, national service - and more.
Candidates must understand and believe deeply in the power of community to drive change.
A successful candidate will interface directly with a remarkable group of influencers and change-makers. This is an incredible opportunity for a senior leader to shape and support a unique community of service-minded leaders, to drive enormous social impact and to play a key and senior role at an exciting, high-growth, and purpose-driven company.
Responsibilities & How You’ll Contribute:
- Leadership: Take ownership and responsibility for the NationSwell Council -- a special membership community of accomplished, service-minded leaders.
- Strategy: A strategic thinker capable of high-level, long-term thinking; a thought-partner to the CEO + COO on the vision and direction of the Council.
- Growth: Oversee and personally drive growth of the Council community.
- Engagement: Effectively and very energetically engage with our accomplished and inspiring community of 600 (+ growing) members across geographies.
- Programming: Oversee the Council's programming for our events across the country + our larger annual flagship event(s): work with our VP and Senior Manager of Programming to build out incredible programming and draw on relationships to book high-level, inspiring change-makers.
- Impact: Have a strong facility for understanding member's needs and very actively seek to broker introductions and connections that provide value for members and drive social impact from the community.
- Preside: Represent NationSwell at Council events - as moderator or simply a/the senior presiding NationSwell team member (some travel required).
- Management: Oversee the Council's outstanding team of 8 (+ growing fast) highly effective, motivated, and mission-driven professionals (located both in NYC + the Bay Area); help them to achieve and surpass their goals; support their professional development.
- Innovation: Oversee and personally lead the development of new and creative experiences, products, services + offerings to support Council members and expand the Council community + operation.
- Issue-based Knowledge: Have a sophisticated and highly informed perspective on the challenges facing the nation. Ability to facilitate and add value to high-level issue-based conversations (in group settings and one-on-one with senior thought leaders).
Who You Might Be:
- An Executive Director (or, possibly Deputy ED) of a not-for-profit or social enterprise.
- A seasoned professional at a prominent, effectively run, high-end membership community or organization (e.g. YPO, World Economic Forum, etc).
- A high-level government or political appointee or professional fluent in, and passionate about, domestic issues, with a strong knack for relationships, driving growth, and some management experience.
- A senior professional in the for-profit, corporate world who is passionate about social impact and is looking to better align that passion with your profession
- Must be a player coach: able to think and act at the strategic level, manage successful professionals, and also very much enjoys and takes pride in being a doer.
- Must have at least 12 years of professional experience and 4 to 6 years of management experience leading a mission-driven team
- Must have a deep and high-level knowledge of - and strong passion for - social impact and the issues that NationSwell covers
- Must have knowledge of, and ability to articulate, the value of community as a force for social change and innovation
- Must have experience in - and a very strong facility for - commercial growth: fundraising, partnerships and/or sales
- Must be a people-person, able to engage with very senior-level professionals (founders, partners, CEOs, executive directors)
- Must be highly sophisticated and mature -- both externally as a key ambassador for NationSwell + internally as a senior leader and team leader at NationSwell
- Must be goal-oriented, driven, determined, highly energetic, hard-working, creative + unfailingly dependable
- Our core values are Excellence, Integrity, Teamwork, Innovation + Inspiration. Candidates should believe in and embody these values.
Base annual salary is highly competitive. We offer great benefits modeled after B Corp assessment standards, including the opportunity for employees to work remotely for part of the week.
To apply, please be sure to include your resume, cover letter and share brief thoughts on why you believe you are uniquely suited for this opportunity.
We look forward to hearing from you!